Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Where do we spend our money?

Macy's
1. I spend a lot of money on buying clothes and I spend most of my money at Macy's department store. Macy's sells public stock in the NYSE. I buy both clothes, shoes, and other acessories at Macy's because they always have great sales.
2. The stock is selling at between 22.54 - 22.95 a share. Recently on Monday all retail stores including Macys was at their 52-week high and then flat lined on Tuedsay with the broader markets as attention shifts to whether improved economic and consumer spending data can sustain going forward. Macy's Inc. and rival Nordstrom Inc. were each down about 1%. I would not invest in the stock because in this economy investing in a retail chain is very risky. It constantly goes up and down and its unpredictable. Macy's has always been a trustable company and there are rarely any law suits with them so I will always purchase products from the company.
Mallorie Kaufman

Nike Inc. (NKE)


1. The product that I spend most of my money on is Nike sneakers. I buy my boyfriend sneakers all the time and he wears them almost every single day. Since boys don't normally wear sandals they wear sneakers, and boots. Seemingly, guys on average have at least 20 pairs of sneakers per year and the number accumulates. Nike is one of the more prevalent sneaker brands. In the past two months alone, my boyfriend, for example has accumulated 7 new pairs of sneakers, 5 of them Nike brand.


2. Currently, the NKE stock is trading at $73.79. This stock is trading at a higher value than its 52 week high. In recent headline news, Nike was named one of the stocks that people will regret not buying in 20 years because its 20 year average return is almost 20%. Also, Nike kept their sponsorship with Tiger Woods, predicting that although the major controversy, keeping the sponsorship for Tiger Woods would not decrease their value. Personally, due to recent headline news about the stock, I would invest in it because it seems like a good investment that will have a nice return. Right now however, I would be hesitant because its about its 52 week high and I don't think it will increase in value much more. The way the corporation acts to a certain extent would influence my decision on investing or not investing. If the company is obviously not interested in keeping track of every facet of production to increase value of their company I wouldn't buy the stock. As long as the company is well maintained and no arbitrary financial decisions are made, then the company would seeming be a good decision to invest in.

Irina Poltarak

1. Christian Dior operates as a fashion and luxury brand worldwide.
The company provides wines and spirits, fashion and leather goods,
perfumes and cosmetics, and watches and jewelry, as well as engages in
selective retailing under various brands. I spend a lot of my money on
Dior makeup such as bronzers, eyeliners, and mascaras.

2.
-Paris Stock Exchange- € 82.35 per share

-Industrial revival lifts European stocks:
European shares rose in early trade on Thursday, hitting fresh
18-month highs following positive manufacturing data from Europe and
China. Revisions to data showed that manufacturing activity in the
eurozone grew at its fastest pace in over three years last month,
faster than previously recorded. "Meanwhile, Christian Dior in France
rose 4.1 per cent to €82.18."
(http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/acb048cc-3d6f-11df-bdbb-00144feabdc0.html)

-I would invest in the Christian Dior stock because they are having a
fashion show in Paris in April which usually causes the stock to
increase. They come out with new products and show it off to the
public in one of the biggest fashion shows in the world.

-Dior ads are typically everywhere and it is sold in all the major
stores such as Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, Bergdorf Goodman, etc. Every
female has atleast one product from Dior which shows how popular it
is.
Gabriella Mitselmakher

1. I use Nestle's Coffee-Mate coffee creamer. I buy 2 or 3 different creamers at once when i go to the supermarket. This product has a variety of flavors and it comes in either powder or liquid.
2. Nestle SA (NSRGF) stock is trading at 50.20. According to the recent news, Nestle is doing very well with their products. Campbell's soup is loosing to Nestle's pizza. I would invest in that stock because it is one of the major food companies and almost everyone has a Nestle product at home. If i like something and use it everyday, the way the corporation acts would not have an influence on me purchasing the product.

Zoya Simhayev

No comments:

Post a Comment